Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Read Naturally Program!

Okay, so many of you know that I sub in the public school system on Monday's. I see the good, the bad, and the ugly. I won't get into it...but yesterday I was working with an elementary reading program called Read Naturally. It was excellent! I came home and looked it up on the internet to see if they have a "home" version. They did. It is called "One Minute Reader". It is $99 for a year long course.

The idea is to improve kids' reading skills and comprehension by timing them as they read. They do a "cold read" first and underline any words that they are struggling with. You right down how many words they read. Each line of the story is numbered to tell you how many words they are at. Then they listen to the story on CD at 3 different speeds to practice getting faster at reading. Then they answer a "Quick Quiz" sheet to make sure they comprehended what they read. After they have practiced their reading on their own they do a "final read". You time them for one minute and their words-per-minute must improve from their cold read. It sounds complicated once I wrote it all out, but it really isn't.
I know that this isn't right for everyone, but I really enjoyed the program and wanted to share the information with you. You can check out several sample pages at their website if you are interested.
www.oneminutereader.com (Homeschool version)
www. readnaturally.com

No comments: