Saturday, September 20, 2008

How did you invest your 86,400?


"Imagine for a moment that your bank suddenly announced this new policy: Every morning your account will be credited with $86,400. You can carry no balance from day to day. Every evening, your account will be canceled and whatever money you have failed to use during the day will be returned to the bank. What would you do? Why you'd draw out every cent of the $86,400 each day and spend it, save it, or invest it. Before long, you could be a very wealthy person!

Actually, you have a bank balance with a similar policy. It is called "time". Every morning you are given the prospect of 86,400 seconds. At the close of that 24 hour period, the moments you have failed to withdraw and invest to good purpose are ruled off the ledger. Time carries no balance from day to day. It allows no overdrafts. Each day, a new account is opened to you. If you fail to withdraw and use the day's deposit, it's your loss. 

Those who truly love life use time to the maximum. Make your days count rather than counting your days!"

This was in my devotional Bible yesterday and I really liked it. I feel so busy all the time but the truth is that there are a lot of wasted seconds throughout my day. Whether it be little moments that I could have put a load of dishes in or spent a little more time to do a craft with Reagan. I do great at never turning the TV on during the day, but in the evening I find myself randomly watching things that don't even interest me or matter. I just sit down and veg after the day. 

Not only does time wasted fall under the category of TV or internet, but I also want to remember that sometimes I just need to be present with the kids in playtime and not be busy cleaning the house or doing something that NEEDS to get done. Those times can also be a lose moment of sharing something with the kids. Anyways, that made me think. I have really been trying to make the most out of my day and juggle everything more efficently, but I know there are things that I can improve on and really want to try. 

Lord, help me to wake up each day ready to face whatever comes me way with a smile and determination. Help me be productive in all that I do and remember that You are pleased with me when I use my time wisely. 

No comments: