Monday, September 8, 2008

So worth it....


So during the school year last year I subbed for our school district on Monday's while Javon was at co-op. Co-op hasn't started yet, so I decided to not start subbing on Monday's until it does. well, this morning I did give it a thought because $100 sounded pretty good. I didn't though and we had a great day that was far more valuable than the money! 

School has been going wonderful thanks to a $1.34 tub of erasers!!!! Javon and Reagan would both jump over the moon right now to earn erasers! Sounds crazy I know, but it's working. For how long...I don't know? However, I'm riding this wave for as long as I can. For every page of school work he does without complaint and in 10 min. he earns 1 eraser. If he can get it done in 5 minutes he earns 2 erasers. It is amazing how much time we have shaved off of school simply to earn erasers! He gets a 10 minute break after every subject. But when he earns 10 erasers he can turn them in for 30 min. of XBox time. His work is getting done efficiently, neatly, and without complaint. What a great blessing. Some may argue that it's not a good system because he isn't doing the work to actually learn but rather to gain XBox time, however I would have to cordually disagree. :-) The power of a positive attitude has greatly increased the quality of learning. The first few days of the school year where filled with whines and complaints and the past 3 have been filled with fun, laughter, and an overall great time. 

Then Mom came over and visited after their 2 week trip to Wisconsin. It is great to have my family home! Then we went on a 18 mile family bike ride. I'm not very fast at all compared to Josh. He coasts most of the way and I feel like I'm pedaling my rear off, but he likes to share his love of biking (cycling) with us. A friend found us a bike trainer (Thanks April!) at a yard sale and this was Javon's longest ride. He was a trooper. That's a long ride for a 5 year old! I was pulling Reagan in our bike trailer, so we looked like quite the little clan of riders. Reagan sang to me most of the way and looked at a book! It was so cute. We got a Jamba Juice and then headed home. Along the way we stopped and picked wild blackberry's for a cobbler

Yeah, that was better than a $100! 

1 comment:

Esther said...

Your bike ride sounds like a lot of fun. Going to Jamba Juice sounds yummy. Too bad they don't have them here. Maybe someday.