Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving and cornbread dressing





I know there are thousands of dressing/stuffing recipes out there, but all I have ever grown up with is cornbread/sage dressing that's what we make. None of that apple, nut, fruity stuff for us!!!! :-) Both of my grandma's make the exact same dressing which is interesting since not many people make it on the west coast (I don't think...). One grandma is from Arkansas and the other from Texas. 
Step 1: Make cornbread - not that sweet kind! 
3 cups white corn meal
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk (if using buttermilk add 1 tsp baking soda)

Step 2: Make biscuits (most any kind will do...Granny makes them from scratch and Momo used canned) 

Step 3: Let them dry out (2 or 3 days) then crumble

Step 4: Make dressing
1-Saute up one large onion and lots of garlic cloves (actually my grandma's both put the onions in raw and do not use garlic...that is my little twist :-)
2-Hard boil a dozen eggs and dice finely
3-Add cornbread and biscuits
4-Add sage, salt, and pepper to taste (LOTS!)
5 - Add 5 cans of chicken stock plus several spoons of turkey drippings
6- Cook at 350 for 40-45 minutes until top is brown and crispy! Yum, yum!

Okay, let me hear from all you "fruity" dressing people why yours is better. Not that I'll believe you!!!!!!!!! :-) 


No comments: