Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Veterans Day Parade






































The kids and I went to our towns Veteran's Day Parade and had a great time. It is the largest in the state of Washington. There were sooooo many school marching bands from all over the state. I was amazed at the distances that some of them travel. 
I was especially moved by the elderly veterans in the parade. They were so proud and it was an honor to see them! I became emotional several times throughout the parade thinking of how much they gave for our freedom. 
There was a group of veteran bikers all decked out in their leather and bald heads and cheering, saluting, and thanking every veteran that passed. It was VERY cool to be standing by them. 
The saddest part of the day was when the family members of those lost in the current war walked by holding large banners with their pictures of their lost brothers, sisters, daughters, sons, husbands, wives, etc. It was so sad and the reality of loss so vivid. 
I talked to the kids about what it was all about. I'm not sure how much they understand, but by simply exposing them to veterans and the reality of what our freedom costs hopefully they will appreciate it more. When we got home from the parade we called my grandpa and said thank you for serving!

Thank you veterans!


No comments: