Thursday, October 23, 2008

Using the things I have......


Matthew 6:20-21 NIV But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Over the past year I have cut way back on even going to the store. Not even going in to 'look' because there is always something on SALE that I have to pick up and in the end it costs money I didn't need to spend. I am learning more and more that if I don't see it then I don't even think about it and ultimately didn't need it in the first place. I tend to be a "saver" - thinking someday I'll use it. As a kid I wouldn't use things because then they'd be gone. Things like BANDAIDS. Yes, even bandaids. I remember getting a box of Strawberry Shortcake bandaids as a kid and never using them because if I used them then I wouldn't have them anymore. Having a single mom until I was 12 helped me learned the value of being frugal. 

Right now my new goal is to USE things up before I purchase more. Things like makeup and lotion just accumulate! 

What about you? Do you have a bathroom cabinet filled with half-used hair products and lotions? Lets use them!!!!!! :-)





4 comments:

Steph said...

I am the same way! I never want to light candles because then I'll have to buy more - so they just get all dusty. I have an expensive mascara that I only use for special occassions and a cheap one for everyday use. That sounds pretty pathetic now that I see it in print.

Abbi said...

I have been really working on using things up as well. Clothes is one of the big things, I set an amount of time that I would not get any more clothes and am just trying to wear out and go through the ones that I have. I have also been working on that with toiletries stuff as well, but I never was the type to accumulate a lot in that area. Craft stuff is another issue with me, I am really trying to make stuff from what I have and not even go to a store!
I find it to be a fun challange and it does help me to save money.

Mary N said...

You don't EVEN want to look in Reina's bathroom!

His Girl said...

*conviction*

ugggggggghhh. yes and yes.


(and i used to save all that junk as a child- bandaids, stationary,stickers... and still do.ugh again. )