Monday, August 17, 2009

Music


There is something so healing, encouraging, calming, powerful, amazing, humbling, emotional......about worshipping Jesus through music. I am so very grateful to the Lord for creating music and giving it to us as a gift. It is a gift that I want to pass down to my children and I pray that they will pass it down to their children.

I am not the most gifted pianist by any means. All my high school friends will atest to that. :-) But I have learned over the past 10 years that my gift isn't necessarily in playing written music, but rather chording and being free to flow with the music that I'm singing. For me, the piano is a means of expression and singing is very connected to the playing for me. I rarely play without singing as well.

I'm not sure if even my family (mom, sister, etc.) know just how much ruckus I make around our house playing the piano. Especially late into the night. The kids have grown up with me playing after they go to bed. They don't even budge.:-) I'm probably ruining them for later on in life because I've turned them into such sound sleepers! But I also hope that they remember a home that was filled with music! Javon already plays the piano very well for 6. He loves to memorize things (which I hated!) and after he's mastered a song wants to quickly move on to the next.
Reagan is my singer. She loves to pretend to play the piano and sing whatever I'm singing.

A piano-What a wonderful gift that my grandma got me many years ago. It used to be a burden. I hated lessons (although Mrs. Mickey was a fabulous teacher :-) ) and I don't play by ear. But I honestly believe that over the years the Lord has gifted me in a different area and that is simply "being in the moment" when I worship Him on the piano. I can't explain it except to say, "Thank you Lord for the gift of music."

Psalm 7:17 (New International Version)

17 I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness
and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.
Psalm 9:2
I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
Psalm 13:6
I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.
Psalm 30:12
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.
Psalm 33:1
Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him.
76.Psalm 33:3
Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.

No comments: