Monday, March 3, 2008

Another day in highschool....

(Aaron, Stacey, Cassidy, Jon, and Elgin) Some of our youth!
Today I subbed at Auburn High and actually had a really good day. The kids were very well behaved overall. However, cursing is such a normal part of their lives. It is really sad that most of them don't even realize what is coming out of their mouth and how foul it sounds. 4th period there were several guys that came in cursing and I let them know that it was not acceptable around me and that the next one that cursed would have to go into the hall. Immediately one boy cursed to make a point and out he went into the hall. Then another girl was talking with her friend and said the D word and I asked her to go to the hall as well. "What did I say?" she said. I told her the D word and she was confused and said, "I didn't say that." She was not being disrespectful at all. She was actually very sweet. Her friend confirmed that she had and said, "We cuss so much we don't even know when we do it." The F word is their favorite. It was quite shocking at first, but now it has become quite common on Mondays to hear it a good 20 times. The halls in between periods are filled with foul language. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying these are bad kids. You are a product of your environment and this is their environment. 
I was actually thinking that if I wasn't a Christian, I'm sure I would curse as well. What is the big deal or payoff of NOT cursing if you aren't trying to follow after God and separate yourself from the world. It helps you fit in. It expresses an emotion. It is culturally that norm. So why not? 

"How then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of them who bring good news?'" Romans 10:14-15
This verse is just a reminder of the mission that each of us has before us. I think we take for granted that people in America know who Jesus is and have made a conscious choice to reject Him. I do not believe that is the case. I think that most people have heard ABOUT Jesus but have absolutely no idea that He can radically transform their lives into something that is bigger than they ever imagined. It is our job to tell them.  That is way easier said than done!!! But if we just could start with one or two then I think it would get a lot easier to just go for it!
I was very happy that today I was able to share more than I had in several months (because I've been teaching Kindergarten lately) about the fact that my husband and I work with youth at a church and if they'd like to check us out they can go to our website. I have to word it carefully. I just say if they want to see my cute hubby and kids they can go to www.needalight.org. That is his clever new youth website name to peek teens curiosity about the name (play on words). It seemed to work today. But then Josh informed me that he doesn't have his picture on there yet. He better get crackin'. :-)
P.S. If you don't know me and are completely confused by the fact that I am talking about teaching in High School yet have homeschool mom on my blog....it is because I began subbing on Monday's in the public school system this year. My husband is off on Monday's and watches Reagan while Javon goes to homeschool co-op with his Nana and Auntie's. It has been a real eye opener and confirmation that I am doing what God wants for my family. I have really enjoyed it most days though. It is such a different world than working at the church in a bubble. It is an extension of my ministry while there because I can see what these kids are facing on a daily basis and it ISN'T EASY. I have friends that are teachers and know that God called them as missionaries to the school system and they are making a difference in kids' lives! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

UMMM...SHUD THAT'S NOT AARON...IT'S JERED...COME ON GET WITH IT...