Saturday, March 22, 2008

Reagan turns 3!

Birthday #1
Birthday #2
Birthday #3






Today was my baby girl's 3rd birthday! I can't believe it!!! It has honestly gone by soooo fast. We had a great day. Actually it's been like 4 days of fun-filled times leading up to the big birthday weekend. Plus with Easter being tomorrow...it's like the birthday party isn't going to stop. :-)

I remember feeling almost guilty when I was pregnant with Reagan because although people said that you could love 2 kids the same...I wasn't sure if that was possible because I loved Javon so much. Even during pregnancy I wasn't sure because I didn't pay as much attention to the pregnancy due to chasing Javon around and tending to his every need. When Reagan was born, I received a blessing in disguise. 5 days in the hospital with her and only her! It was wonderful. We were able to talk and bond and then I realized that, yes, the love is equal. Although at times it has been different emotions while raising them, because of their two vastly different personalities! Reagan never kept me awake crying (except the first night when she had to be in a green-space-alien suit and stay in a cold, horrible bed due to her jaundice.) She never has wanted extra attention. She's fine doing her own thing and standing by the sidelines. She's not one to make her wishes known except with her brother and on occasion if it involves makeup! :-) Yet, she has a quiet strength about her. One that I have especially enjoyed watching develop over the past year. I'm a pretty out-there type of person and I always said that one of the hardest things would be for me to parent an introverted child. Yes, it sometimes makes public situations different than I am used to, but at home she is very confident and open. It is in vast contrast to Javon who never stops moving while out in the big world. So different yet both exceptionally gifted and wonderful kiddos.

This year has been all about being a girly-girl! Makeup, dress-up, hair-do's, etc. Reagan loves to dress herself and her bedroom floor is usually covered with clothes every morning in her attempt to find the "right outfit". It is so fun to have her in my life! She is a great cuddler and loves to sing worship songs with Mommy.

Songs of the YEAR...yes, the YEAR...everynight this YEAR we have sang "Twinkle, Twinkle" and "Blessed Be Your Name" before bed. Oh, she also asks "Who gave me this" or "Who gave you that" about every single item that you touch. Whether it be makeup, toys, clothes, pans, food...everything!!! At least 10 times a day she asks about different items and then says "Oh, that was nice."

I believe that her spiritual gift is SERVICE. She loves to do things for others. She helps me do the dishes. She helps her brother color things. She helps do things for the dogs. And then she loves when you praise her for it. Last year I read "Discovering Your Child's Spiritual Gifts" and wasn't sure what Reagan's gift was yet, but I really do think that serving others makes her happy. I try to always praise her now when I see her doing things for others to encourage her.

Well, she's finishing off her 3rd birthday at Nana's house coloring Easter eggs! It's been a great day and I'm ready for another wonderful year of learning and growing together!

Lord, help me over this next year to always be loving, never harsh. Help me to encourage my children in their giftings and never push things on them that I want that may not be what You have for them. I want to enjoy each moment. Please help me to be more patient and present in their lives. Even in the little things. When I'm tired or want get other things done, help me realize I'll never get these years back. Thank You for allowing me the privilege of homeschooling them! I never want to take that privilege for granted. It is such a blessing to not have to follow the cultural norm, but rather do what I know is best for our family. Your Word will not return void and I want to raise them up knowing and loving You not out of religious duty but out of a true heart that longs to please you. Help Josh and I always model that heart for You. Please help me find balance in my life as a wife, mother, teacher, ministry leader, employee, daughter, sister, friend, homemaker, etc. I want to be the best at them all, but I know that sometimes areas will fall short. Help me to prioritize better and use wisdom in my decisions. I want to always find JOY in the things I am doing and have a grateful heart. Thank you for my beautiful little girl and handsome little man. You are amazing!!!!

No comments: