Monday, March 31, 2008

Some people do more than they know....


Some people do more than they know.... 

What is that about? Well, today I subbed for a Special Ed classroom and was amazed at the level of dedication that these teachers and para-educators have for their students. I have never worked with severally special needs children before. My only experience has been some great kids at church with autism that have fabulous parental support. 

It was a day, let me tell you that. I won't go into detail as to not share their individual mishaps throughout the day, but it was not easy. Yes, in one sense it was not a difficult day in the fact that the kids were great to be around and there was not a lot of lessons required. (We did work on counting, money, and calculator skills.) But emotionally it was draining. I have to give it up to all those who work day in and day out with special needs children and adults. It is a very rewarding profession, but I believe with all of my heart that it is FAR MORE than a job to every single person that I worked with today. They invest themselves into these kids! I'm telling you, the next time you see or talk to a special needs teacher or helper, give them a huge hug and tell them how important their life work is! Although I was enjoying my day, it would be really difficult to give this much of yourself day in and day out. Plus, then go home and give to your family every night!!!! 

So.....some people do more than they know because I don't think they realize other people don't give this much of themselves to their work! I just cannot believe this is a job or even a career. It has to be a life calling. 

One of my friends has worked as a one-on-one in a special needs class for many years and has just completed her Masters. I have nooooo idea how she did it after working all day, doing school at night, and tending to her family. Then she comes to church on Sunday's and works in our special needs program. Wow! And again I say Wow!

Lord, please bless these special students that I worked with today. Please send someone into their lives that can speak about You and Your love for them! They are not mistakes. They are perfectly designed for You. Yes, I look at them and think "how sad", but You don't. You see them as they are and know their every thought. Keep them safe from those who would hurt or harm them just because their different. Open our hearts to embrace these wonderful kids and adults even if they smell, look, or sound different than us. You love them. Thank you for helping me through this day and please bring more families into our church that need YOUR strength to face these difficult earthly situations. 

No comments: