Friday, March 14, 2008

Writing ideas for parents and kids!


So a friend and I (hi Carrie) were talking the other day about kids and how it important for them to learn how to write and tell stories. I found this little "how to" about writing and thought it was great. I want to start next year having Javon journal every day about something. Even if it's a few sentences and then maybe once a week as he gets older write something fictional. Anyways, here are some writing tips for parents and kids alike...

1) If you write every day, you get better at writing every day!
2) If it's boring to you; it's boring to your readers.
3) Get a writing routine and stick to it!
4) Poetry does NOT have to rhyme. Poetry does not NOT have to rhyme.
5) Resist stereotypes, in real life and in your writing.
6) Writers read. Writers read a lot. Writers read all the time.
7) Make lists of your favorite words and books and places and things.
8) There doesn't always have to be a moral to the story!
9) Always bring your notebook. Always bring a spare pen.
10) Go for walks. Dance. Pull weeds. Do the dishes...then write about it.
11) Don't settle on just one style. Try something new!
12) Learn to tell both sides of the story.
13) Go write something!

2 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Those are great writing tips for anyone. Thanks for sharing.

Abbi said...

Those are some neat tips. I have never felt very confident as a writer but I do enjoy doing it and I love to read. Hopefully with practice I will eventually get better. My oldest Mara thinks it would be a lot of fun to be a writer. I think she is following most of your tips pretty well already but I will have to tell her about the others.